With changes in the Boston College Eagles linebacker corps, sophomore Mike Strizak could be looking at increased playing time in 2014.
More from Football
- Offensive Coordinator Ryan Day Leaves Boston College Football
- Colton Lichtenberg Commits to Boston College Football; Shores Up Kicking Game
- Soaring to Glory Show, Jan. 21, 2015: We’re Back, Baby
- Cost of Attendance: You Know, Boston College Has a Point
- Boston College Recruiting: Football Offers Jeremy Larkin, Jayson Ademilola
Like a number of players before him, Strizak is originally a product of New Jersey prep school football, having come to Boston College from Don Bosco. That institution, of course, is coached by Greg Toal, whose last name has appeared on the all-time Eagles roster several times. At that school, Strizak was an Army All-American and a regionally-recognized solid linebacker. Amongst his accomplishments as a senior was picking up 13 sacks.
Mike Strizak was a three-star recruit who came to Boston College over such schools as Illinois, Michigan State, North Carolina, and Rutgers. (If you’ve been reading the player previews lately, you will see many times in which Rutgers has been turned down for the Heights. Poor Scarlet Knights: always the bridesmaid.)
Strizak’s true freshman year at Boston College was a very quiet one given his redshirt; his redshirt freshman year only seemed quiet because he totaled five tackles. He nearly matched that total in this year’s spring game.
Entering 2014, he might end up being a lot more noticeable.
Mike Strizak #30: Fast Facts
- Position: Linebacker
- Hometown: Fair Lawn, New Jersey
- High School: Don Bosco Preparatory High School, Ramsey, NJ
- Measurements: 6-foot-2, 230 lb.
- Class year at 2014 opener: Redshirt sophomore
- BC games played: 10
Mike Strizak #30: 2013 Season
- Backup linebacker; special teams coverage
- Games played: 10
- Cumulative statistics: 5 tackles
- Appeared on Spring 2014 roster
Ready to predict the 2014 Eagles’ season? Click here to vote in our poll.
Strizak is part of a unit that, as a matter of typical assumption, Boston College fans figure will be the least of the team’s problems. That is probably the case, but they are still down two starters from last year.
Someone will have to move up the ladder, and there is no reason it can’t be Mike Strizak. When asked of who could potentially fill the shoes of such players as Kevin Pierre-Louis and Steele Divitto, Strizak’s name was the first uttered by Steve Addazio.
It would not be wise to go so far as to say that Strizak will be starting, but there are more snaps to be had and we can expect to see more of him this season.
Missed any 2014 player or season previews? Click the “114 Days” tag below to catch up on what we’ve shared so far.