The new Boston College football depth chart for Week 1 of the 2014 season has finally been released. Were there any surprises?
A few, but not many, as most of it seems to be what we expected all along, but there are some player placements that are a bit interesting and notable. One thing Boston College fans will notice in a thorough breakdown of the positions is that it becomes very clear what Steve Addazio’s position is on playing the true freshmen from his new recruiting class.
Boston College Football Depth Chart: Offense
(scroll right for full listing; top line is first-string)
|Tyler Murphy (gs)||Seth Betancourt (gs)||Bobby Vardaro (gs)||Andy Gallik (gs)||Harris Williams (gs)||Ian Silberman (gs)||Myles Willis (so) OR Tyler Rouse (so)||Mike Giacone (jr) OR Louie Addazio (sr)||Bobby Wolford (jr)||Charlie Callinan (r-fr)||Josh Bordner (gs)||Dan Crimmins (jr)|
|Darius Wade (fr)||Dave Bowen (sr)||Aaron Kramer (gs)||Frank Taylor (jr)||Jim Cashman (jr)||Dave Bowen (sr)||Jon Hilliman (fr)||Joel Rich (r-fr)||Sean Burke (jr)||Jeffrey Jay (sr)||Thadd Smith (fr) OR Gabe McClary (fr)||Drew Barksdale (so) OR Shakim Phillips (fs)|
|Marcus Outlow (fr)||Nat Dixon (fr)||Sherm Alston (fr)|
|Richard Wilson (fr)|
Boston College Football Depth Chart: Defense
|Brian Mihalik (sr)||Mehdi Abdesmad (sr)||Connor Wujciak (sr)||Kevin Kavalec (so)||Josh Keyes (sr)||Sean Duggan (sr)||Mike Strizak (jr)||Manny Asprilla (sr)||Dominique Williams (gs)||Justin Simmons (jr)||Bryce Jones (jr)|
|Malachi Moore (jr)||Nick Lifka (sr)||Truman Gutapfel (so)||Harold Landry (fr) OR Seyi Adebayo (gs)||Matt Milano (fr)||Steven Daniels (jr)||Ty Schwab (fr)||John Johnson (so)||Sean Sylvia (gs)||Ty-Meer Brown (gs)||Kam Moore (fr)|
|Noa Merritt (fr)||Christian Lezzer (fr)||Connor Strachan (fr)||Isaac Yiadom (fr)||Kevin Bletzer (fr)|
Boston College Football Depth Chart: Special Teams
|Alex Howell (sr)||Alex Howell (sr)||Len Skubal (jr)||Tyler Murphy (gs)||Bryce Jones (jr)||Myles Willis (so)|
|Mike Knoll (fr)||Mike Knoll (fr)||Mike Fischer (jr)||Josh Bordner (gs) OR Charlie Callinan (r-fr)||Thadd Smith (fr) OR Sherm Alston (fr)||Bryce Jones (jr) OR Sherm Alston (fr)|
|Joey Launceford (sr)|
Thoughts will from hereon be arranged in bullet point format for ease of reading.
- The offense line is exactly how most of us expected. Every single starter is a fifth-year senior, and there are no underclassmen listed. This is a very experienced line.
- It looks like Boston College will go running back-by-committee. There are five players listed here, and most or all will probably see playing time. Keep a particular eye on freshmen Marcus Outlow and Jon Hilliman, who could explode onto the scene.
- The Eagles have four true freshman and one walk-on listed at wide receiver. The point being made should be self-explanatory.
- Steven Daniels has apparently been demoted to a back-up, which is particularly surprising considering that he is the only returning starter at linebacker. We’ll see how that plays out.
- Sean Sylvia is also no longer a starter; he was the starter at free safety, but now Justin Simmons owns the role.
- Harold Landry is on the depth chart, and he will play. That’s exciting.
- Mehdi Abdesmad has moved from the outside to the interior of the defensive line. At almost 300 pounds he has the mass to be there.
- Boston College has eight true freshmen listed on defense. That is also telling, in part because it seems Addazio really wants to get his new recruits in there.
- Alex Howell is both kicker and punter, not splitting roles with Mike Knoll. Interesting, but it isn’t the first time Addazio has done this.