On Monday, the ACC media released its 2014 football preseason poll.
No surprises to find here. The media does not like Boston College and the Eagles could not care any less.
Similar results were found last season and the Eagles were able to defy the odds and have a 7-5 season with a bowl berth. Only nihilists can get a tingle out of preseason polls by media members. Do they still allow our favorite “guy” from a state in the Tri-State area? Do you trust a media poll to be a fortune teller for how the rest of the season will go? You’ll have better luck with a Pat Robertson “message from God”.
Parentheses equal First Place Points
2014 ACC Media Poll: Atlantic Division
1. Florida State Seminoles (109) – 780
2. Clemson Tigers (3) – 660
3. Louisville Cardinals – 564
4. Syracuse Orange – 368
5. N.C. State Wolfpack – 326
6. Boston College Eagles – 301
7. Wake Forest Demon Deacons – 136
2014 ACC Media Poll: Coastal Division
1. Miami Hurricanes (26) – 614
2. Duke Blue Devils (33) – 597
3. Virginia Tech Hokies (23) – 571
4. North Carolina Tar Heels (27) – 570
5. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (1) – 322
6. Pittsburgh Panthers (2) – 319
7. Virginia Cavaliers – 142
That the ACC media picked the Eagles near the bottom of the division, as previously stated, is not a shock. The outside view is that Boston College will have a down year, having lost players like Andre Williams and Chase Rettig.
Sometimes, the writers predict doom for the Eagles and they are wrong — for example, last football season when Boston College was slotted into last place by a mile. Then again, they can also have more moderate opinions of the Eagles and also turn out wrong — just ask Steve Donahue about getting picked eighth in the preseason last year.