Sep 20, 2014; Syracuse, NY, USA; Syracuse Orange linebacker Cameron Lynch (38) makes a tackle on Maryland Terrapins quarterback C.J. Brown (16) during the second half of a game at the Carrier Dome. Maryland won the game 34-20. Mandatory Credit: Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports
BC Offense vs. Syracuse Defense: Stat Analysis
If one were looking for a word to define the Syracuse defense, it would be “okay.” That’s about all one can say of them: they are not great, but they are not terrible, either. Being honest, they have to be at least okay, if not great, given that their offense is truly awful.
As for the Boston College offense, the reality is that they are not great except at one thing. Otherwise, “okay” might be stretching it considering that they do not score a lot of points relative to the rest of college football, they do not account for much total yardage (again, relatively), and they have been poor on third downs.
Syracuse’s problem has not been the defense’s fault. There is only so much you can slow down the other team and hope to win when your offense does not score.
BC Offense vs. Syracuse Defense: Key Matchup
RB Jon Hilliman vs. LB Cameron Lynch. Hilliman is most likely to get the football for the Eagles, while Lynch is Syracuse’s best player on defense this season. Lynch is the Orange leader by a mile in tackles (87), TFL (10), and sacks (6.5). Syracuse will need a big game out of him to stop Hilliman and all his running back compadres if the Orange are to keep their own offense in it.
BC Offense vs. Syracuse Defense: BC Names to Know
• Grad QB Tyler Murphy leads the team in rushing yards with 1,059, getting to a rare yardage plateau for the Eagles.
• Grad WR Josh Bordner leads the team in receiving yards with 301.
• Freshman RB Sherm Alston only has 33 rushes, but they have been highly productive as he averages over 10 yards per carry.
• Grad C Andy Gallik has started every game this season anchoring the offensive line.
BC Offense vs. Syracuse Defense: Syracuse Names to Know
• Senior NT Eric Crume has played in 41 games for the Orange and is one of the veterans of their defensive line.
• Senior CB Brandon Reddish leads Syracuse with three interceptions this season.
• Senior DE Micah Robinson has broken up five passes this year and has two sacks to his credit.
BC Offense vs. Syracuse Defense: Final Analysis
If any Syracuse unit is going to show up on Saturday, it will probably be this one. They have done some decent things this year, and the Eagles have not exactly been wizards at home, except against USC. They could give the Eagles fits but as long as Ryan Day is able to keep the Orange on their toes, this could work out for Boston College.
A conservative gameplan, like the one seen in the second half of the Wake Forest game, would turn out the exact same way as then. Aggressiveness has served the Eagles well when they have tried it.