* Regular season finales all over the place in college basketball, and conference tournaments continue to heat up. We’re only a few days away from the major conferences tipping off. The first of our 31 conference champions was crowned today in Ithaca, NY, while 3 more will be crowned tomorrow. In the OVC, (2) Austin Peay will play (4) Morehead State as AP is looking to repeat as champions. The Atlantic Sun has (1) Jacksonville vs. (2) East Tennessee State. Finally, the Big South is another 1-2 matchup, Radford vs. VMI. The tournaments getting going are the Big Sky and the Summit League. In all, 13 tournaments will be taking starting or resuming on Saturday.
* The first real upset of the conference tournament period came when (1) Tennessee-Martin lost to the aforementioned Morehead State in the OVC.
* A-Rod’s not having the surgery, for now. As I’ve stated, I stand by the Yankees’ decision. It’s potentially a no-win situation, but if they wait until July for him to return from surgery, the Yanks could be 10 games out yet again when he returns. Even with a great rotation, you still need to score runs to win the game, and A-Rod drives them in. The last thing the Yankees need this year is another slow start.
* All-bubble showdown in the Big Ten: Michigan @ Minnesota. Michigan needs it, but Minnesota can’t afford to lose it. It’s basically a play-in game. Kentucky vs. Florida is as bubbletastic, except both teams are out right now. Keeping in the SEC, the Gamecocks can’t afford to be the latest bubble team from that conference to lose to Georgia. The Bulldogs, despite being awful, have played quite the spoiler lately, beating both Kentucky and Florida.
* UConn vs. Pitt once again. Best game of the day right here. I’d not be shocked if the Panthers take the season sweep. We won’t know, of course, if they’ll be the Big East champs until after Louisville plays, but UConn can take care of it all by themselves if they win.
* Hey Texas A&M;, you want to make the tournament? Beat Missouri at home.
* So many other games, so little time: Cal would be in good shape if they beat ASU, bubble team Oklahoma State has a tough task against OU, ditto Texas in Kansas, New Mexico can stay relevant with a win at Wyoming, and Maryland has a must-win in Charlottesville.