It is no mystery whatsoever that the Boston College Eagles will not be playing in the NCAA Tournament. Well, that’s not true: the Boston College Eagles hockey teams will be playing in their respective NCAA Tournaments. As for the basketball teams, no such luck and we knew that back in December.
March Madness is upon us all, though for the Eagles, the madness began long ago and set into criminal insanity. It’s difficult to watch at this time of year knowing that everyone thought your team would be involved in the proceedings. Since they’re not, we can still have fun with brackets.
I’m giving an outside perspective on the composition of the NCAA Tournament field of 68. The S-Curve looks a little something like this. Feel free to agree or disagree with my appraisal.
(Note: This segment is called “Quasi-Bracketology” because this is how I would personally design the field if such decisions fell upon me; this is not a guess or a prediction.)
NCAA Tournament S-Curve
1. Florida Gators (SEC)*
2. Wichita State Shockers (MVC)*
3. Arizona Wildcats (Pac-12)*
4. Virginia Cavaliers (ACC)*
Yes, I’m giving Virginia a one seed. I do believe they’re the real deal and the most complete team in the ACC this year.
5. Villanova Wildcats (Big East)*
6. Duke Blue Devils (ACC)
7. Kansas Jayhawks (Big 12)*
8. Syracuse Orange (ACC)
With how Syracuse is melting down recently, they’re not far from being a three; forget about a one for right now.
9. Wisconsin Badgers (Big Ten)
10. Louisville Cardinals (AAC)*
11. Michigan Wolverines (Big Ten)*
12. San Diego State Aztecs (MWC)*
13. North Carolina Tar Heels (ACC)
14. Cincinnati Bearcats (AAC)
15. Creighton Bluejays (Big East)
16. Saint Louis Billikens (A-10)*
17. Connecticut Huskies (AAC)
18. Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12)
19. Memphis Tigers (AAC)
20. Michigan State Spartans (Big Ten)
21. New Mexico Lobos (MWC)
22. SMU Mustangs (AAC)
23. Oklahoma Sooners (Big 12)
24. Iowa Hawkeyes (Big Ten)
25. Kentucky Wildcats (SEC)
26. Texas Longhorns (Big 12)
27. UCLA Bruins (Pac-12)
28. VCU Rams (A-10)
29. Kansas State Wildcats (Big 12)
30. Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten)
31. Gonzaga Bulldogs (WCC)*
32. Arizona State Sun Devils (Pac-12)
Ohio State really did themselves in with those mid-season losses. Not on the bubble, but stuck in the dreaded 8-9 matchup followed by a likely date with the one seed.
33. St. Joseph’s Hawks (A-10)
34. Harvard Crimson (Ivy)*
35. Pittsburgh Panthers (ACC)
36. Baylor Bears (Big 12)
Baylor has rocketed back into the field after looking for a while like they were in significant trouble. Also really like this red-hot St. Joe’s team, which lost a tough one to another tourney team in George Washington.
37. Colorado Buffaloes (Pac-12)
38. George Washington Colonials (A-10)
39. Massachusetts Minutemen (A-10)
40. Oklahoma State Cowboys (Big 12)
Oklahoma State is another Big 12 team that seems to have rehabilitated itself just enough.
41. Oregon Ducks (Pac-12)
42. Arkansas Razorbacks (SEC)
43. Tennessee Volunteers (SEC)
44. Providence Friars (Big East)
Some projections don’t even have the Friars in the dance, but I think they deserve to be there.
45. Xavier Musketeers (Big East): FIRST FOUR
46. Brigham Young Cougars (WCC): FIRST FOUR
47. California Golden Bears (Pac-12): 2ND TO LAST AT-LARGE
48. Stanford Cardinal (Pac-12): LAST AT-LARGE
49. Southern Miss Golden Eagles (C-USA)*
50. Vermont Catamounts (Am East)*
I like Xavier’s resume a lot less than Joe Lunardi. I also wouldn’t put Cal or Stanford too high out of the 12 range. Otherwise, I like how Vermont has played for an America East team and would reward them with a 12.
51. Toledo Rockets (MAC)*
52. Iona Gaels (MAAC)*
53. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (Southland)*
54. Belmont Bruins (OVC)*
Liked this SFA team for a couple years now. I don’t think they’re necessarily any sort of threat, but the program is in solid shape.
55. Mercer Bears (A-Sun)*
56. Green Bay Phoenix (Horizon)*
57. Delaware Blue Hens (CAA)*
58. North Dakota State Bison (Summit)*
59. NC Central Eagles (MEAC)*
60. Boston University Terriers (Patriot)*
61. Davidson Wildcats (Southern)*
62. UC Irvine Anteaters (Big West)*
I know which of those teams I’m not rooting for.
63. Georgia State Panthers (Sun Belt)*
64. Southern Jaguars (SWAC)*
65. Utah Valley Wolverines (WAC)* FIRST FOUR
66. Robert Morris Colonials (NEC)* FIRST FOUR
67. Weber State Wildcats (Big Sky)* FIRST FOUR
68. High Point Panthers (Big South)* FIRST FOUR