The Syracuse Orange sealed a victory with a touchdown with six seconds to go as on Saturday afternoon, they defeated the Boston College Eagles, 34-31.
The Eagles will end their regular season at 7-5 (4-4) and have finished in fourth place in the ACC Atlantic.
Rapid fire reaction is as follows:
• The Eagles’ defense lost this game today, and not just at the end of the fourth quarter. Syracuse converted on the vast majority of their third-downs and appeared to move the ball at will for a majority of the game. Their opponents came into this game with one of the worst offenses in the conference but they looked fierce against the Eagles.
• Andre Williams’ Heisman candidacy is likely over as he only had a handful of yards and then left due to injury, not to return. The loss did not help, either. He may still make it to New York, but winning is beyond a longshot now.
• Chase Rettig played a very representative game today, throwing and running the ball to help carry the offense on his back. Say what you will of his performance over the course of the full season, but he has not quit and he is trying hard each game.
• This is a bad loss for the Eagles, blowing the game inside the final ten seconds. It is going to be painful for them to sit through most of December with this loss hanging over their heads.
• Nevertheless, 7-5 is a solid season considering that the Eagles were horrible last season. Chase Rettig, Andre Williams, and the rest of the seniors will not end their careers on this disaster.
Boston College will now sit and wait for a forthcoming bowl invitation.